|The "historical" trappist breweries|
The abbey of Our Lady of Chambarand
Arrived in 1868 on the plateau of Chambarand, the Trappist Fathers began the manufacture of beer in 1872. For making their beer, the Fathers Trappists carried out a high fermentation between 15° and 20°. But the use of this process involved problems of conservation; to cure this problem, a Bavarian master brewer was engaged in 1885 and set up a process of low fermentation about 1890. We know that in 1888, at the time of the general Chapter which was held in Sept-Fons, the Abbot of Chambarand asked that his community be allowed to increase his hotel trade [the register of Tamié precise between brackets: (of its cellars with beer)] and proposed to spend an amount of 18.000 francs; the general Chapter gave him the authorisation to do so.
Thanks to the blocks of ice which were stored in winter in cellars, the Trappist fathers could guarantee a beer of equal quality in all seasons. The beer was pasteurized and only made up of barley and hop. Testimonials attest that “it was an aperitif, digestive, and nutritive beer, to take during the meals or between the meals as a refreshing and tonic drink.”. It was sold in cases of 25 bottles and barrels from 25 to 100 litres, and was sold on a line between Vesoul, Saulieu and Nice. In 1897, Dom Chautard was elected abbot of Chambarand. At the beginning of the 20th century, at the time of the removal of the congregations, he could do nothing to prevent the closing of the abbey in 1903 .
In 1903, the Trappist fathers yielded their activity to Mr. Dumasdier, of Roybon. The brewery preserved its name of “Brasserie de La Trappe de Chambarand.” The exploitation of this brewery, following financial difficulties, ceased in 1922. In 1931, nuns replaced the fathers and were directed towards the manufacture of cheese.