Rochefort (abbey Our Lady of St. Remy)

In Brief...

1229
Gilles de Walcourt, Lord of Rochefort, founds, for cistercian nuns, an abbey called "Succursus Dominae Nostrae" "Assistance Our Lady".
1464
The nuns of St Remy leave the site and go to Félipré, near Givet (France), while monks come and replace them in Rochefort.
1595
First evidence of a brewery in Rochefort
1650
French troups, headed by Baron De Châtelet, plunder the abbey.
1653
The armies of Condé follow what was started by De Châtelet, and burn down the abbey.
1664
Monks come back, and start restoring the ruins
1755
There are problems of disciplin in Rochefort. An ordinance is declared to prohibit smoking and playing cards...

1792
The Pope secularizes the abbey and authorizes the monks to carry the title of canon
1796
The abbey is sold
1887
The abbey is re-bought by abbot Sény, who donates it to the abbey of Achel.
1899
A small brewery is installed in Rochefort. The abbey of Achel, which sent monks to Rochefort, is already brewing for 50 years...
1914
Brother Paulin Cattoir is the master brewer. He will be replaced by his own brother, and will become master brewer again in 1941.
1952
New equipments are bought in order to enhance the quality of the beer. Monks of Chimay and Professor De Clerck help the abbey of Rochefort.
1953
A new beer, stronger than the others, is sold.
1960
A new brewing room is installed
1974
The equipment of the brewery is renewed

Précédente / Vorige / Previous