Tilburg (abbey of Our Lady of Koningshoeven)

In Brief...

1881
A group of monks coming from the abbey of Holy Mary of the Mont des Cats, leaves France to found a monastery near Tilburg, Netherlands.
1883
The monastery of Tilburg obtains the title of Priory
1885
Permission to build a brewery and a malt factory are asked to the town council
1886
First drinkable beer
1890
The priory of Tilburg becomes an abbey
1891
A steam engine is installed. The first denomination of the beer (Bernardiener Bräu) is abandoned. Beers are now named : "De Schaapskooi" (the sheepfold)
1891
A new and big abbey is being built
1893
The logo depicting a sheepfold, is deposited
1898
Foundation of the monastery of Zundert
1954
A pasteurizing machine is bought
1959
The laboratory is renewed
1969
An agreement is signed with breweries Artois
1980
Artois decides to stop the activity, so the abbey again undertakes the production of Trappist beer as of June 18, 1980
1989
The brewery is renewed
1998
The monks, following an existing cooperation agreement with the Dutch brewery Bavaria, decide to withdraw from the obligations of managing the brewery, in the face of an aging community. A little later on, following a discussion with the international trappist association, the monks decide to remove the "authentic trappist product" logo from the beer labels and advertisings.
2005
The monks of Tilburg are authorized to have their beers wear the "authentic trappist product" logo again. (See the official press release published on october 7th)

Précédente / Vorige / Previous