Westvleteren (abbey Our Lady of St Sixtus)

In Brief...

1831
A group of monks leaves Our Lady of Gard, and after staying in the monastery of the "Mont des Cats", goes to create the monastery of St Sixtus, upon request of Mr Victoor. Official date of foundation : november 4th, 1831. dfdfdf
1833
The community is composed of 11 monks, then 20 monks in 1835.
1836
St Sixtus is affiliated to Westmalle.
1838
It is decided to build a brewery inside the monastery.
1850
A group of monks leaves St Sixtus and goes to Chimay, to create a new monastery.
1871
The priory is elevated to the range of abbey.
1877
Beer is sold at the abbey (saled are aimed at cafés around the abbey)
1927
The abbey's and brewery's buildings are restored.
1931
Sales of beer to the public, at the abbey.
1946
An agreement is signed with the brewery St Bernardus in Watou, so that St Sixtus beers can be sold more widely. The abbey will only brew a rather small quantity of beer, that will be drunk in its own cafés.
1992
End of the agreement between the abbey and the brewery St Bernadus.
1999
The former café "In de Vrede" is destroyed and replaced by a new and bigger one.
 

Précédente / Vorige / Previous